Services & Resources
The Westmoreland County Historical Society fulfills its mission by using our unique resources to offer a variety of services:
- Maintaining a 5,000+ volume non-circulating research library of genealogical and local, county, and regional materials.
- Providing research services related to genealogy and county history.
- Publishing a tri-annual journal Westmoreland History and other occasional publications.
- Managing Historic Hanna's Town, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This has been done in partnership with Westmoreland County Parks and Recreation since 1969.
- Conducting programs at Historic Hanna's Town.
- Maintaining Historic Hanna's Town's archaeological collection of over 1 million artifacts.
- Documenting and managing a 700,000 item archives collection.
- Managing a curatorial collection.
- Providing educational materials via outreach to schools and teachers.
- Conducting adult, children, and family educational programs on a broad range of historical topics.
- Administering Westmoreland Heritage, a county-wide partnership of heritage sites, educational institutions, and tourism-based businesses whose mission is to promote heritage and cultural tourism in Westmoreland County.
The Westmoreland County Historical Society is dedicated to advancing its mission by forming collaborations and partnerships with other public and private organizations that share the Society's philosophy and mission. We work to promote interest and knowledge of our area's past and cultural heritage in order to instill in our county's citizens a sense of pride in local history which may act as a foundation for future success.